Separation Anxiety Issues.

A normal workday for my husband and I means that I get up at 4:30 and leave the house by 5 a.m.  Kevin gets up when Tom gets up, feeds him, dresses him and takes him to daycare around 10.  I pick Tom up at 3 and Kev gets home between 7 and 8.  This means that I don’t see Tom after he goes to sleep until 3 p.m.  (Except during those special times when Tom requests my presence around 2 a.m.)

Sunday night, Tom woke up at 2 a.m. and did not want to go back to sleep.  He actually wanted to play, the little nut.  He’s got a bit of congestion, so I’m assuming it’s related to that — but the bottom line is, I was awake with Tom from 2 a.m. to 4 a.m.  I had to work on Monday but Kevin didn’t, so he and Thomas decided to spend Monday visiting Mimi and Pops.

Needless to say, I was struggling at work a bit on Monday.  I was super tired and feeling more than a little sick.  When Kev called me at work that morning to tell me they were heading out, he said, “We’ll see you probably around 4.” And I said, “No!  See you at 7!” I needed a nap and that would give me enough time to take one.  I was really trying to get some holiday out of this holiday!

Because I have a nice co-worker, I got to go home a little earlier than usual.  I came home around 2 p.m. to a completely empty house.  No hub.  No babe.  No pup.

Silent.  Quiet.  Peaceful home.

I immediately snuggled up into bed and fell asleep.

I woke up around 3:15.

Silent.  Quiet. Peaceful home.

I ate a bagel on the couch, with no puppy begging for a bite.  And watched Laguna Beach on instant watch with no hub begging for a different choice.  And I drank a complete cup of hot coffee, with no baby begging for me to hold him.

And then I vacuumed.  I sorted Tom’s 6-month clothes out and replaced them with 9-month ones.  I dusted.  I swept.  I did laundry.  I did dishes.  I took out the trash.  I cleaned the bathroom.

And then it was 5.  And I was jumping out of my skin.

Where were my babies?!

Oh my gosh, I missed my boys like an addict going through withdrawals.  I walked into Tom’s room just to smell him.  I straightened Huck’s bed so it’d be ready for him when he got home.  I thought about calling Kevin just to talk to him on the phone about our day, even though he’d be home soon.  I was dying!

And it’d only been hours.

This whole episode was shocking to me.  I was so looking forward to some alone time.  Just to be peaceful, just to get things done.

But instead, I was a total worried wreck.  I kept hearing cars go by and looking out the window for them.  I tried to read my book, but couldn’t concentrate.  (On a separate note, I’m ready Eat, Pray, Love.  I’m on the Pray part.  It is taking me to get through this part.  Ready for Love already!)

Finally, finally, they got home around 6.  I ran out to the truck.  With arms outstretched.  (Not really.)  Kissed Kevin, patted Huck and grabbed Tom immediately.  My babies returned!

I’ve heard of babies going through separation anxiety. I just recently read it is most likely to happen between 6-months-old and 18-months-old.  I think in actuality, it can happen at 33 years old.  Just sayin’.

Dear cute boys — don’t ever leave me!  I’m needy. And I love you.

This entry was posted in Huck, Kevin, Motherhood, Tom. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s