Sick Mama.

After we got back from the north Georgia mountains on Sunday night, I threw up.  I know this may be strange to you, but I actually throw up at the drop of a hat so this didn’t seem completely strange to me.  It actually didn’t occur to me that I would be…sick.  I explained it away as being any number of things.  None of them sick.

But then I got sick again.  And again.  And again.

And even thought I’m a weird person, I’m not that weird.

So I secluded myself in our downstairs bedroom where I could moan and complain in peace.

And then my alarm went off at 4:30 a.m. so I could go to work.

So I did.

Because I thought that surely whatever weird bug I’d gotten would be over and done by then.  Right?


So I got sick at work.  I did the bare minimum I could get away with and drove home after an hour.

When I arrived home that morning, by little button of a cute baby saw me and held out his arms and cried for me.

And I had to walk away.


As if being the sickest I have ever been in recent memory wasn’t bad enough, as if thinking that there was no way I could make the drive home, then I came home to my sweet baby wanting his mama and I had to LEAVE.

I just bawled.

I sobbed.

(I’m thinking maybe the sickness contributed to this outpouring of tears.  Right?)

I wanted to hold my baby and cuddle with him and see him and I couldn’t because I was infectious.

And so I stayed in my downstairs sick cave all day.

Tom went to daycare like normal, and then Kev picked him up from daycare and they did his afternoon/nighttime routine — my routine — without me.

I slept through it all.

That was the longest amount of time I’ve been without Tom.  And it was awful for me.  Maybe moreso because I was in the house, but just couldn’t be with them.

So yesterday, I actually picked Tom up from daycare.  The first time I’d seen him in 30 hours (if you count the time I had to walk away.)  I hadn’t been sick since Monday morning so I thought I’d be safe for him.

And it was great.

Like running across a field of flowers — reunited with Tom!

We took it easy yesterday afternoon.  We watched some Barney together.  And played a little.  And then we took his bath and I put him to bed.

Being sick is the worst.  Being sick when you have a cute baby is even worse than that.

Being able to finally hug your little one is awesome.

Although, no kisses.


This entry was posted in Motherhood, Tom. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s