Cotton Swab Trauma.

When Tom woke up Monday morning, I felt like he had a low-grade fever.

Not that he’d let me take his temperature or anything, but I used my mommy skills (kissing the forehead) and determined he had a slight fever.

By the late morning, he was acting very cranky. He whined. He cried a lot. He looked like he wanted to go to sleep at 11 a.m.

And then an acorn hit him on the hand and he had a total breakdown.

So I took him home, gave him some Tylenol and put him to bed.

When he woke up, he seemed to feel better. He still didn’t want to eat, but he was active and happy.

But that night, he had a fever again. And he woke up in the middle of the night with a fever again.

So yesterday morning, I took him to the doctor.

When we arrived, Tom had no fever. (Of course!)

They weighed him. (29 pounds.)

Then we went to our room and Tom immediately started crying because we were no longer in the lobby where the “trains!” were.

I tried to get him calmed down while talking to the nurse about his symptoms. I told the nurse a friend of ours had been diagnosed with strep, so I was scared that’s what he had. So she decided to do a strep test on him.

Do you know that that entails? They just use a Q-tip to swab his mouth. That’s it.

But for Tom? He apparently thought it meant WE WERE TORTURING HIM TO DEATH!

He screamed. He kicked. He punched. He cried. He just totally, completely, 100% lost it.

He wouldn’t open his mouth, he used every ounce of strength he had to wriggle away from me and the nurse. Finally, the nurse said, “I’ll just go get the doctor to see what she can do.”


So the doctor comes in and tries. No go.

So they bring in another nurse to help.

So it’s me holding Tom’s head, a nurse holding Tom’s arms, and the doctor trying to swab Tom’s cheek when he opens his mouth to scream at the top of his lungs.

People, I was not prepared for this. At all.

The last time I cried at the doctor’s office was when Tom got his first shots as an infant.

And then this time.

It was totally horrible. I felt awful. And drained. And like I couldn’t explain to my child that this was just a simple thing and didn’t hurt at all.

Anyway, the first test came back negative.

But the doctor said he did have a throat infection and to just keep up the Tylenol and liquids.

Afterward, I took Tom back out to the lobby to play with the trains out there for a long time.

And he got a sticker. And a milkshake.

I’m hoping that helped him get over his “cotton swab” trauma.

I have a better memory than Tom though, so I think I’m going to need milkshakes for days to get over it.

And maybe a sticker.

Share on Facebook

This entry was posted in Motherhood, Tom. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Cotton Swab Trauma.

  1. Victoria says:

    Poor baby! I am so sorry – that is awful!!! I hope that he is feeling better. It is so hard when they get upset and you cannot tell them that it will be ok. Hope you got a milkshake too!

  2. robyn says:

    Strongly agree with a milkshake therapy… for both of you. Hope he is feeling better in the morning.

  3. Poor thing! And I feel sorry for Tom too! πŸ˜‰

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s