It’s A…

This week I had an ultrasound so we could find out what exactly Baby #2 is.

I already knew, of course.

Not because a professional told me, but I knew it in my bones.

I knew with every ounce of my being.

I knew because I’d been pregnant before, and I guessed correctly with Tom so I of course knew with this one, too.

Plus, I’d grown up knowing what I would have one day:

Two boys.

Two beautiful, amazing, smart, talented, funny, active, adorable boys.

I could totally picture it and was ready to hear the news!

So when the ultrasound tech said: It’s a GIRL!!!

I went momentarily deaf and blind.

Wha, wha, wha, what?!

And then, the most amazing thing happened: I laughed! And smiled! And teared up with happiness!

And then my thoughts went: O.M.G. I am having a girl. We are having a girl. Tom will have a sister. I have to learn to say “she.” I hope she’s not as mean as I was as a teenager. We have no name for her. Are brothers and sisters close? I hope so. O.M.G. OMG. OMG. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Yay! Girl clothes!!

I am VERY excited.

Kev is CRAZY excited.

Tom doesn’t even know anything about anything, so he is SUPER excited. (Like always.)

I thought it would take me awhile to get used to knowing I was having a girl, but it hasn’t.

Sure, I’ve caught myself still thinking of boy names that I will never use — but that is the only lingering effect from thinking my whole life that I was having two boys.

That’s it.

My brain just refuses to think of girl names.

(According to a quiz my sister took while pretending to be me, I like classic, All-American names. Feel free to suggest some like that to me.)

I just cannot believe it!

Imagine my face. Does it look shocked? It should.

Y’all — I am going to have a daughter.

A daughter.

I am so over the moon thrilled I’m about to burst!

I just can’t wait to meet her!

Whatever her name is.

You guys! There’s a GIRL in there!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Family, Kevin, Motherhood. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to It’s A…

1. Melanie says:

Happy happy!! Girl clothes are so fun. You’re going to learn more about the Disney princesses, Barbie, and American Girls than you ever thought possible. How fun! One of each! And you look awesome!!

• Melanie says:

Oh! I forgot about names. I loved Caroline (but Wayne was afraid she’d get Carolyn instead, which we didn’t like). Emma is pretty classic…I’m a bit partial there. πŸ™‚ Can’t wait to hear what you’ll decide on, and I bet your family’s brains are exploding with ideas for baby showers! πŸ™‚

• loveandkate says:

Caroline is totally on my list!! And I’ve always loved Emma, too. And you’re right, Rachel is already planning! I can’t wait to see what she comes up with! LOVE.

2. Nicole says:

A girl! You are going to go broke shopping for girlie clothes-but it will be a blast. How perfect to have a daughter and a son. So happy for your news!

3. Karen C says:

Oh how wonderful Kate!!!! I am SO excited for you!!! I love my sons to death, but my daughter holds a special place in my heart that only she can fill.

Names! Oh and the clothes, those are the best…till they get to be about 9 then it all goes downhill. lol
    Katherine
    Susanna
    Amelia
    Lily
    That’s all I got on only one cup of tea this early, πŸ˜‰
    Blessings!!!!

4. Rachel says:

I’m so thrilled for you!
    I bet your family is already coming up with tons of names… but the top three names that I think work well with Gelsthorpe:
    1. Imogene
    2. Jane
    3. Georgia (ok it’s a little corny but Georgia Gelsthorpe sounds so awesome!)

5. Robyn says:

I gotta say I’m shocked too – I don’t know why I pictured you with boys! But a girl is gonna be so fun, and she will have a big brother… something I always dreamed about as a kid. As far as names, I love Karen’s suggestion of Lily. So cute. I also like Sarah, Caitlyn, and Ava. I’m sure I’ll have more.

6. Heather Sherrod says:

I’m so excited for you!!
    Here are some names I suggest:
    -Hadley
    -Ruby
    -Arianne
    -Janeva
    -Janie
    Grace always makes a nice middle name
    I dont know how classic they are, but I like them!