1. Kev and I went to the movies Saturday. It was the first time I’d been to a movie IN YEARS. What I learned during the experience was: Movies are very long. I was happy when the movie was over. I haven’t sat down that long IN YEARS. It kind of hurt. Movies are very long. Very, very, very long. Why does it take THREE HOURS? My sitting position has a 2-hour tolerance. Now you know.
2. Skyfall is good if you don’t keep staring at Javier Bardem’s weird blonde hair the whole time. Which I did.
3. Sometimes I get overwhelmed and say, “I just need you to HELP ME!” in a pleading tone to my husband. A few days ago Tom got upset, threw himself on the floor and said, “I just need you to help me! Help me, please!” Oh. My. Word. I am mortified/embarrassed/laughing a lot about this. A lot.
4. We took Tom’s “big train” down from the attic. It’s a Lionel train that we only take down at Christmastime, but since he’s been asking about it for an entire year, we decided it’s Christmastime now. So we took it down. He’s in heaven. At least he was until he put his head on the track and it ran into him full blast. Now he’s in heaven with a bump on his head.
5. My kids have been sick their whole lives.
6. I know that’s not true, but it feels true.
7. I know you know I love fall, but I feel the need to point out again that it is such a beautiful time of year. Everything is pretty right now. And all the mosquitoes are dead. I find beauty in dead mosquitoes. It’s true.
8. Everyone on Facebook is complaining about Christmas music already playing. I love Christmas music. Christmas is 6 weeks away. It’s not summertime…it’s Christmastime! Just ask Tom’s train.
9. We’ve already watched The Polar Express 597 times.
10. I know that’s not true, but it feels true.
11. Alice will wave “bye-bye” to you now. She is the cutest most amazing child EVER!
12. Sometimes her “bye-bye” looks like she wants you to sing the Itsy Bitsy Spider — so it totally depends on the situation. If you’re sticking around and she does it, she wants you to stay and sing her the song.
13. I took both kids to the aquarium by myself today because it was a last minute decision. I’m so glad I did because we had a wonderful time. Tom was super well behaved and Alice was a dream. In other news, it only takes an hour to get through the entire aquarium these days because Tom just wants to see them and move on. It’s kind of hilarious.
14. Anytime we put Alice in her high chair or her exersaucer, Tom thinks that is an open invitation to push her around the house. She loves it.
15. Tom loves Christmas stuff so much. I took down a box of decorations just to get an idea of what I had before buying anything, and Tom immediately opened it up and put the decorations all over the house. All of our lower shelves look amazing. And a little nuts.
16. Tom told me he wants to ask Santa for a “train museum.” As in the museum we’ve taken him to in NC when we’ve ridden the train there. Ummm…
17. I did so much laundry yesterday I broke our dryer. So I get a new one. Merry Christmas to me!
18. I can’t stop buying stuff from the $1 bins at Target. It’s an actual addiction. Help me.
19. I had dinner with my friend, Robyn, on Saturday. Uninterrupted conversation! It was awesome.
20. I still haven’t sleep trained Alice. I don’t think it’s because she’s a girl or because she’s supposed to be my last baby — I think it has more to do with the fact that she hardly ever cries, so the thought of her being upset about sleeping in her crib breaks my heart. I’m a wuss.
21. Tom is doing great in school. He’s making sweet friends and he brings home the cutest crafts. I’m so happy we decided to send him.
22. I’ve been telling Tom that after Christmas, he’s going to start using the potty. I live in a dream world where talking about it ahead of time will help. I’m giving fair warning!
23. I’ve been thinking about converting Tom’s crib to a toddler bed lately. Everyone told me not to do it unless I needed to or he acted like he was over the crib — but I’m not sure he’s ever going to be over his crib. Like, I don’t think he’ll try to climb out or tell me he wants a big bed. So…maybe I should just do it. Thoughts?
24. I joined a MOMS Club in our area about 2 months ago and have yet to attend a single thing. I’m sure they’re impressed. It’s like my sorority days all over again!
25. This weekend my kids were still sick so we hung out at the house breaking dryers. That’s why I have no Bits blog today.