Tom will be in kindergarten next year.
The stress I’ve been feeling since January has begun is like…ridiculous.
I know it is.
But I can’t help it!
Because I have several problems with this fact. Problems like…
1. I do not want Tom to be in kindergarten. I want him to be in little baby preschool forever and ever. I want him to do crafts and pajama days and class parties and have fun and run around and be a itty bitty little forever and ever. I want him to learn, of course I do, but for some reason I’m scared that school will be like…THE END OF FUN.
2. I’m a control freak. Yes, Tom’s in school 5 days a week now. Know how many days I am there? All the time! There are parties for every major (and minor) holiday. There are school-wide events like Art in the Park and Field Day. I am the room mom and the co-chair of the parent council for the whole school. I’M AT EVERYTHING. I KNOW EVERYONE. I’m scared that once he’s in actual kindergarten, I won’t be in charge. Because I’ll be new. And, you know, NOT THE TEACHER.
3. I’m reading a terrible book. I accidentally started reading Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty the other day. I had no idea what it was about, but I’d read The Husband’s Secret and liked it. Know what Big Little Lies is about? CRAZY KINDERGARTEN PARENTS. Who act terrible and one of them is about to be murdered at a school event. For real. And now I am at panic level 998.
4. I am anxious to know how Tom will be. Will he sit in his desk? Will he listen to his teacher? Will he learn everything he needs to learn? Or will he be running around, not listening and not learning? What type of kindergartner will he be?! I think Tom is awesome and smart. Will his teacher think that? PLEASE THINK THAT, FUTURE TEACHER!
5. I don’t know where we’ll be. We may be moving to the other side of the city to be closer to family. We’ve been slowly getting our house ready for listing. (We still have more to do, by the way.) And us moving is dependent on a number of things, that I just don’t have any control over. But what this means is — I can’t research every school in the area like the crazy mom I am. I can sort of do it here, but I don’t really think we’ll be here. And I can’t really research where we may move, because there are many choices on where we may move. I’m surrounded by moms who are going to every open house there is, and I’m just kind of sitting here…BEING ANXIOUS.
Y’all are laughing at me, right? Like…surely this is not a serious thing to worry over.
I’m worrying over kindergarten!
Sometimes, I realize I’m getting way too caught up in thinking about it. And I really do laugh at myself.
And then other times I start thinking that picking the right kindergarten is the most important decision ever!
I want Tom to love school. And have friends. And have awesomely understanding teachers who love him. And I just want all of that RIGHT NOW so I can quit stressing about it.
And by RIGHT NOW, I mean never, because as mentioned previously, I actually want him to be little forever.
Please?! No? Okay, FINE.
Hypothetically, how long would it take someone to be certified as a kindergarten teacher?!
(Asking for a friend.)