Tom will be FIVE on Thursday.
It feels monumental. And crazy.
And all of a sudden, FIVE YEARS OLD sounds…OLD.
Like…I keep looking at him. Looking older. Looking almost-five.
((Pretty sure you knew that.))
Anyway…every day leading up to his big day, I’m going to post stuff about Tom.
It’s a WEEK OF TOM!
And today, is my favorite FIVE Instagrams (all tagged #loveandtom) from this past year of Tom being a wee lad of four.
1. Tom taking his Dad to see a dead mouse. We’d been on a walk this day and seen it on the side of the road. Tom thought it was REALLY COOL, obviously, and he couldn’t wait for his Dad to get home to show him. And Dad couldn’t wait to see it.
2. Mud bowl. Tom was playing in this muddy hole in our yard for 30 minutes, before deciding to strip down. I remember I had to tell him to please keep his unders on. He’s the one who asked for the bowl. I’m the one who said, “Sure!”
3. Pumpkins. This picture was taken the first weekend in September. We’d been to visit a state park, and across the street is the famous Burt’s Pumpkin Farm. We were the only people there, and it was great. Tom was the happiest boy in the world. He loves Halloween. And he really, really loves pumpkins. He picked one out for every member of our family, and came up with all sorts of plans for them. We painted a bunch of little ones the very next day — just like he planned.
4. Leaves. I’d raked a pile of leaves on the driveway, and Tom thought it was great. Tom and Alice both took turns running through it, but Tom really got into throwing them. He LOVED it. He was laughing so hard, he got the hiccups. He got really excited when he realized you could throw them at people’s heads. And put leaves down Mommy’s shirt. It was a great day.
5. Crashed Spaceship. The kids were playing outside in the front yard, and after awhile, I noticed Tom on the ground near a bush toward the end of our driveway. I called out to him, “Hey Tom, are you okay?” No response. “Tom?” Nothing. So I walked over there, and could tell he was smiling. “Tom, what are you doing down here?” He didn’t say anything at first, but then he finally said, “I’m a spaceship that crashed.” I guess he didn’t want to break character by saying he was okay. And I totally get that.